If you are looking to earn your license as a professional counselor in New Jersey, this is the program for you.
Centenary University’s Master of Arts (MA) in Clinical Counseling fulfills all of the prerequisites for completion of the National Counselor Examination for Licensure and Certification (NCE). It will prepare you to work independently as a licensed professional counselor (LPC) in New Jersey and other states.*
In our 60-credit program, you will develop a thorough understanding of the theory and practice of counseling. You will also gain the skills needed to treat emotional and behavioral problems in individuals, families and groups in a variety of professional settings.
The curriculum includes foundational courses on topics including intervention, prevention, diagnosis and research, and then allows you to choose from courses in your specific area of interest. Your extensive training will also include the completion of a supervised practicum and a supervised internship.
By completing Centenary’s Master of Arts (MA) in Clinical Counseling, you will:
- Gain a thorough understanding of and competence in the practice of individual and group counseling.
- Acquire an appreciation for the role of the counselor in society and an understanding of the ethical and legal responsibilities associated with that role.
- Acquire a comprehensive understanding of the theories of adaptive and maladaptive human behavior and their applicability to assessment and promotion of improved human functioning.
- Develop competency in the design, conduct, and evaluation of counseling research.
- Acquire professional skills and practical experience in the provision of counseling services in settings relevant to your career focus.
A rewarding career as a licensed counselor is within your reach. Apply now.
*Students who wish to become licensed in a state other than New Jersey will need to check with their own state’s licensing boards to ensure that Centenary’s program meets their state’s LPC requirements.