Being able to pay for attending college is no easy task. Located in the Seay Building, the Office of Financial Aid offers assistance to you and your parents to ensure that you have the financial resources to focus on your education.
Do you have a knack for communicating through words, graphics, or video? A career in communication, writing, or design could be in your future.
Centenary University’s new Department of Communication, Writing, and Design, takes a unique approach to the field of communication. We’re one of only a few universities to concentrate writing, graphics, and video into one department. That’s because in the real world, professionals from these fields—writers, designers, film producers, and radio talent—often collaborate to create messages that inform and entertain. It takes a versatile communicator to work across disciplines to create content that truly engages.
Within this department, you can choose from five concentrations:
- Film Studies
- Graphic Design
- Professional Writing
Minor in Social Media Marketing
Why not make your resume pop with a minor in Social Media Marketing? Centenary’s unique Social Media Marketing minor is the perfect addition to a major in Communication, Writing, and Design, giving you cutting edge skills that set you up for jobs in this rapidly expanding field.
The minor includes four courses that fit within the free electives section—no extra credits or time:
- Social Media Marketing
- Digital Advertising
- Digital Analytics
- Social Media Marketing Strategy and Consulting
The Communication, Writing, and Design curriculum is complemented by hands-on experiences working directly with faculty members who are media professionals. On-campus opportunities include:
- Internet radio station WNTI
- On-campus television studio
- Production of the university-sponsored newspaper, The Quill
- Production of the university yearbook, The Hack
- Participation in filmmaking competitions
What’s more, Centenary students have access to a large variety of internships. With our proximity to New York City, students have tremendous opportunities with national media outlets. We’re proud that Centenary students have completed internships at Fox 5 News, CBS News, Nickelodeon, News 12 New Jersey, Marvel Comics, WFAN, WDHA, and many other media organizations.
Start Here. Go Far.
Centenary University graduates go far in communications and film-related careers. Our alumni work at major television networks and radio stations, publications, and even producing music videos for well-known singers. They’ve also gone on to careers in marketing and corporate communications, and have gained acceptance to graduate programs in journalism and related studies.
Sharpen Your Writing
No matter which concentration you choose, effective writing plays an integral role in advancing your career. Centenary’s Writing Collaboratory is a peer-to-peer tutoring center that offers students of all majors assistance with their writing. This popular program also helps tutors, who often find that teaching writing helps fine-tune their own skills.Learn More
Course # | Course Title | (Title Credits Completed)
- COM1003 | Practicum: the Quill | (2)
- COM1004 | Practicum: the Hack | (2)
- COM1011 | Mass Media | (4)
- COM1013 | Audio Production | (4)
- COM1015 | Intro to Studio Operations | (4)
- COM2000 | Interpersonal Communication | (4)
- COM2001 | Public Speaking | (4)
- COM2005 | Advanced Audio Production | (4)
- COM2008 | Television Production | (4)
- COM2011 | Introduction to Journalism | (4)
- COM2013 | Media Design | (4)
- COM2030 | Film and Philosophy | (4)
- COM2040 | Great Directors | (4)
- COM2041 | Documentary and Independent Films | (4)
- COM2111 | Global Cinema | (4)
- COM3005 | Mass Communication Law & Ethics | (4)
- COM3011 | Media Copywriting | (4)
- COM3013 | Non-Fiction Freelance Writing & Editing | (4)
- COM3014 | Photojournalism | (4)
- COM3018 | Writing for Public Relations | (4)
- COM3019 | Technical Writing | (4)
- COM3025 | Advanced Television Production | (4)
- COM3033 | Print Editing | (4)
- COM3041 | Art Films/Video | (4)
- COM3042 | Digital Filmmaking | (4)
- COM4018 | Senior Communications Project | (4)