Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts
Phone: ext. 2422
- B.F.A in Acting, The Theatre School, DePaul University
- M.F.A. in Directing, University of South Carolina.
Stephen Davis is an Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts at Centenary University and a proud member of the Actor’s Equity Association. Centenary directing credits include: Antigone, Lobby Hero, Ubu Roi, Italian American Reconciliation, Cymbeline, Twelfth Night, Polaroid Stories, The Imaginary Invalid, and Shake It Up: Magic, Mystery, and Mayhem an educational tour (he also adapted) focusing on the works of Shakespeare.
He served as the Centenary Stage Company fight choreographer for Peter Pan, Deathtrap, The Liar, Breakfast with Mugabe, Oliver! (also played Mr. Brownlow) and The Wizard of Oz (also Professor Marvel/The Wizard of Oz and Makeup Designer). Stephen has a B.F.A. in acting from The Theatre School at DePaul University, as well as an M.F.A. in directing from University of South Carolina, where he received the Two Thumbs Up Teaching Award for making a difference in the lives of students with learning disabilities.
While at Centenary, Professor Davis was honored with the 2010-2011 United Methodist Exemplary Teaching Award. He has worked with the Folger Theatre of DC for six years on their Shakespeare in the New Jersey public schools program entitled Shakesperience New Jersey, and is proud to have started the program here at Centenary University. He teaches classes and in-school residencies to all ages in Shakespeare, stage combat, theatrical makeup, acting, directing, playwriting, video production and movement for the theatre.
Shakespeare in The Schools Programs
Folger Shakespeare Library / Folger Education / Shakesperience: NJ
- June 10, 2014 WMBCTV clip –http://wmbctv.com/wmbctvnews/2014/06/10/centenary-shakespeare/
- April 30, 2014 article –http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2014/04/local_high_school_students_cel.html
- April 14, 2014 article – http://www.broadwayworld.com/new-jersey/article/Centenary-Stage-Folger-Shakespeare-Library-Partner-for-School-Outreach-Program-20140414#.U1-1c1czITJ
- February 2, 2014 article –http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2014/02/centenary_stage_company_in_hac_4.html
Hope Township School (Hope, NJ)
- June 2, 2014 article –http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2014/06/assistant_professor_of_theatre.html
Blairstown Elementary (Blairstown, NJ)
- January 2015 article –http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2015/01/photos_centenary_professor_bri.html
- January 14, 2013 article –http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2013/01/centenary_assistant_professor.html
- “All Are Punished”: Staging Romeo and Juliet in a post 9/11 World. (The Edwin Mellen Press; editors: Matthew Biberman, Douglas A. Brooks, Matthew Biberman, Julia Reinhard Lupton, August 2011) Shakespeare Yearbook, Volume 20: Shakespeare after 9/11: How a Social Trauma Reshapes Interpretation
- “Shake It UP Shakespeare: Magic, Mystery, and Mayhem” – Tour for Young Audiences – Shakespeare Education School Tour – Spring 2014