School of Professional Studies (SPS) Students

Aid for Summer Sessions Students in the School of Professional Studies (SPS) is automatically awarded for summer financial aid.

Traditional Graduate and Undergraduate Programs

Students in traditional graduate and undergraduate programs should request to be evaluated for summer financial aid.

Summer aid is awarded after the current academic year, meaning the current FAFSA is used to process any remaining eligibility for the summer.

A FAFSA for the current academic year must be completed no later than June 30th to be considered for federal student aid for the summer. Students must also be matriculated (seeking a degree) and making Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to be considered for federal financial aid.  Additionally, you must have a complete file for the current academic year before any summer funds can be disbursed to your account. You may view your financial aid file to check for any missing information via your NetPartner.


There are three summer sessions; students may enroll in any combination of classes during the summer.

  • Summer 1: mid-May through the beginning of July
  • Summer Online: early June through mid-July
  • Summer 2: mid-July through mid-August

Students should register for all of their summer credits before applying for and requesting financial aid. For information on classes offered and the registration process, please visit the Registrar’s Website.

There are two accelerated sessions; students may enroll in any combination of classes during the summer. Students should work with their Program Advisor to register/schedule their summer classes.

Federal Direct Loan Eligibility for Undergraduates and Graduates

Undergraduate students must take six or more credits during the summer to receive Federal Direct Loans, which includes Direct Subsidized Loans, Direct Unsubsidized Loans and Parent PLUS Loans.

Graduate students must take at least 4.5 credits during the summer to receive Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS Loans.

The annual loan limits for Federal Direct Loans are listed below. Students who have used all of their loan eligibility during the fall and spring semesters may choose to apply for a private loan.

Undergraduate students may work with their parent(s) to apply for a Parent PLUS Loan online at Graduate students may also apply for a Graduate PLUS loan online at

Grade Level Dependent  Independent
Freshman $5,500 $9,500
Sophomore $6,500 $10,500
Junior $7,500 $12,500
Senior $7,500 $12,500
Graduate $20,500

Private Loan Eligibility

Students are eligible to borrow a private loan during the summer to cover expenses that other financial aid does not cover. Students who are enrolling for less than half time during the summer may apply for private loans through lenders who do not require them to be enrolled half time or more.

We strongly recommend, however, that students exhaust all federal aid options before borrowing a private loan. For more information on private loans, please see our Private Loan Webpage.

Federal Pell Grant for Eligible Undergraduates

If a student is Pell Grant eligible for the current aid year and did not receive his or her full Pell Grant for the fall or spring at Centenary University or another institution, the student may have remaining eligibility. Remaining eligibility will be calculated based on the number of credits for which the student registered and the remaining amount of Pell after deducting what was received in the fall and spring terms.

Campus Store Advances

Requests for bookstore advances from excess financial aid funds for the current semester will be approved by the Student Billing Office no sooner than the first day of the semester. Please contact the Student Billing Office for details on using excess financial aid funds for a bookstore advance at (908) 852-1400 ext. 2245 or via email at

Visiting Students

Visiting students are not eligible for any financial aid, including federal or private loans; through Centenary University. Students visiting from another college who would like to take courses at Centenary University over the summer should request a consortium agreement from their home institution, which will allow their home institution to process their financial aid for courses that they are taking at Centenary.  Students should work with the Student Billing Office to determine how they can use their funds from their home institution to pay for their courses at Centenary. Students may be required to pay Centenary for their courses and reimburse themselves with the financial aid received from their home institution.

Disbursement of Aid

Financial aid for summer sessions will disburse around the following times:

  • Summer 1: first week of June
  • Summer Online: second week of June
  • Summer 2: third week of July

Students may be required to pay some costs (living expenses and books) prior to the date that their financial aid will be posted to their student accounts. Students should expect to pay for these costs out-of-pocket.

Financial aid will be disbursed to students’ accounts at Centenary University shortly after their attendance is confirmed for the required number of credits. If a student’s financial aid exceeds the charges on his or her student account, the Student Billing Office will issue a refund check to the student for the excess funds approximately 10-14 days after the excess appears on a student’s billing ledger.