If you are looking to earn your license as a professional counselor in New Jersey, this is the program for you.
Centenary University’s Master of Arts in Clinical Counseling fulfills the curricular requirements for licensure as a professional counselor (LPC) in New Jersey. The program is also an approved educational provider by the Addictions Professionals Certification Board of New Jersey and the addictions track of the program provides the required 270 hours of coursework for licensure as a clinical alcohol and drug abuse counselor (LCADC) in New Jersey.*
In our 60-credit program, you will develop a thorough understanding of the theory and practice of counseling. You will also gain the skills needed to treat emotional and behavioral problems in individuals, families and groups in a variety of professional settings.
The curriculum includes foundational courses on topics including intervention, prevention, diagnosis and research, and then allows you to choose from courses in your specific area of interest. Your extensive training will also include the completion of a supervised practicum and a supervised internship.
Check out the Clinical Counseling audit sheet for course listings.
Clinical Counseling Program
- Develops professional counselor identity and a strong grounding in professional ethics
- Reviews current evidence-based practices and counseling theories
- Training in the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of psychopathology
- Clinical training totaling 700 hours across three semesters (practicum and field experience)
- Research/statistical training including a master’s thesis
Clinical Counseling Profession
- Well-documented need for licensed mental health professionals in the years following the COVID-19 pandemic—be a part of the healing process in the years to come
- Employment of mental health and addictions counselors is projected to grow 23 percent from 2020 to 2030, much faster than the average for all occupations1
A rewarding career as a licensed counselor is within your reach. Apply now.