Jump to Programs

For students holding a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership with a NJ Principal certificate, Centenary University offers a special 12-credit program that allows you to complete the coursework needed to earn your School Administrator certification from the New Jersey Department of Education. The School Administrator certificate is attainable through the Centenary University Ed.D. program.  Centenary also offers the 150-hour School Administrator Internship course to non-matriculated students who are in need of this NJDOE requirement for state certification.

Courses include:

  • Data-Driven Decision Making
  • Continuous Improvement
  • Human Resources Management
  • School Administrator Internship

School Administrator licensure allows you to be employed as a Superintendent or Chief School Administrator or an Assistant Superintendent.

The School Administrator certificate requires:

  • 5 years experience in education
  • A passing score on the Praxis 6991
  • Internship – 150 hours through an approved program (not the same as Principal – this is in addition). This requirement is waived if the candidate has served as a Principal for 5 years (has to be Principal, not Director, VP or AP)
  • MA or Higher in Ed Leadership
  • Students in our Ed.D. program may be eligible for the School Administrator certificate if they don’t already have one unless they specifically opt out of the certificate (and take course number 795 instead of 770).
  • Students who already hold an M.A. in Ed Leadership with a standard Principal Certificate can do a 12-credit School Administrator Certificate program (if needed) – consult with your advisor
  • Every student has different experience and qualifications – consult with your advisor regarding the best course plan to achieve your goals.  In NJ, certification is a state function – Centenary does not issue certifications.

If you qualify, you can meet those course requirements through Centenary’s program by completing only four classes, including the required 150-hour internship class.

Fill out my online form.


School Administrator’s Licensure

University Catalog

Financial Aid

Being able to pay for attending college is no easy task. Located in the Seay Building, the Office of Financial Aid offers assistance to you and your parents to ensure that you have the financial resources to focus on your education.

Skip to content