What teacher certifications can I earn at Centenary?

You can earn your New Jersey certificate in:

  • Preschool–Grade 3
  • K–6 Elementary
  • K–12 Teacher of Biology
  • K–12 Teacher of English
  • K–12 Teacher of Mathematics
  • K–12 Teacher of Social Studies
  • Teacher of Students with Disabilities Endorsement*
  • Middle School Language Arts Endorsement*
  • Middle School Mathematics Endorsement*
  • Middle School Science Endorsement*
  • Middle School Social Studies Endorsement*

*Requires an elementary or secondary certificate

What are the requirements to apply to the program?

To apply to the Education Program, students need the following:

  • Application form (department faculty will provide)
  • At least a B- earned in EDU2000
  • At least a B- earned in EDU2003 or EDU2004
  • Documentation of at least 10 hours of experience in the classroom
  • Transcript with a total GPA of at least 3.0
  • A passing score on the Core Praxis or equivalent passing score on the SAT
  • Letter of recommendation from outside the Education and Mathematics Department
  • Departmental interview
  • Resume

When and where can I take the Core Praxis?

Test dates and centers can be found on the ETS website: https://www.ets.org/praxis/register/dates_centers/

How can I prepare for the Core Praxis?

ETS has preparation materials online: https://www.ets.org/praxis/prepare/materials

Once I have been accepted into the Education Program, what are the requirements I need to complete before starting clinical fieldwork?

  • Meet with your advisor to go through your audit sheet of required coursework
  • Complete required coursework
  • Complete 40 additional hours of experience in the classroom
  • Pass the Praxis II

How can I meet the 50 hours of experience in a classroom?

You can easily accumulate hours within your courses. Many of the required courses for your major include a project that requires a specific number of classroom hours. You will need to keep a log of all your classroom hours.

Which Praxis II do I need to take?

Specific testing details, codes, and registration can be found on the ETS website: https://www.ets.org/praxis/nj/requirements

When and where can I take the Praxis II?

Test dates and centers can be found on the ETS website: https://www.ets.org/praxis/register/dates_centers/

How can I prepare for the Praxis II?

Your coursework will help prepare you for the Praxis II. Tutoring sessions will also be made available to you. Additional preparation resources can be found on the ETS website: https://www.ets.org/praxis/prepare/materials

How many semesters will it take for me to complete the program and get my certification?

Traditional incoming freshmen can complete the program in 8 semesters if they follow their audit sheet. If you need to take a remedial English or Math class or retake a course, you may need to take a summer class to stay on schedule for 8 semesters. Transfer students need to meet with their advisor to see how many courses transferred for credits toward their major.

I am a transfer student. Will my credits transfer to my major?

First, you need to request a change in major by completing this online form. Then, schedule a meeting with your advisor to go over your new audit sheet and determine which classes you need to take to complete your new major. You will also need to take a different Praxis II than originally planned.

Do I need to maintain a certain GPA to stay in the program?

Yes. You need to maintain a 3.0 GPA.

I work full time. Can I still complete this program?

Yes! Many students have worked jobs while fulfilling initial requirements. You need to look closely at the course offerings. Some courses are offered in the daytime only. Some courses are offered in the evening or online, but you will need to work with your advisor to try to arrange your schedule to make everything fit. Keep in mind that most courses include an assignment that requires hours of observation or support in classrooms, so you will need to make arrangements to fulfill that requirement during school hours. Your work schedule may have to be adjusted during clinical experience, as you will need to complete 150 hours in the classroom over the course of one semester. Once you begin your clinical internship, you will be in a school all day every day for an entire semester in addition to completing your course work.

I am a student athlete. Can I still complete this program?

Yes! Meet with your advisor for assistance fitting the required courses into your schedule.

What is clinical experience?

In clinical experience (Practicum), you will be placed with a cooperating teacher in a school. You are required to complete 150 hours in a classroom consistent with your area of certification. This will occur over the course of one semester. During this time, you will write lesson plans and conduct several classroom lessons under the supervision of your cooperating teacher. You will also be formally observed and receive feedback from both your cooperating teacher and field supervisor. By the end of the semester, you will be teaching a full day. While in clinical experience, you will continue to complete coursework that will support your classroom teaching. You will also begin preparing for your edTPA.

What is clinical internship?

Clinical internship will take place during the semester following your clinical experience. You will attend the school for full days, 5 days a week to accumulate 450 hours of experience. This will occur over one semester. The first half of your internship will be in a general education setting, and the second half will be in a special education setting. You will be responsible for writing lesson plans, conducting lessons, grading, attending meetings??, and working closely with your cooperating teacher to develop your planning and instruction and classroom management skills. You will be formally observed by your cooperating teacher(s) and field supervisor. During this semester, you will also complete required coursework and submit your edTPA.

How will I be placed in a school for clinical fieldwork?

Upon completion of all necessary prerequisites and full admission to the Education Department, you will be contacted to apply for Clinical Experience/Clinical Internship placement. You will complete the application and in collaboration with your advisor submit the application to the Education office. This application includes a list of schools where you may be interested in doing your clinical experience. The faculty member responsible for field placement will work closely with you in determining an appropriate placement. The faculty member will make all outreach necessary to area schools to secure a placement and will try to accommodate your preferences; however, there is no guarantee you will be placed in your choice of schools. Placement schools must be within a 30-minute geographic boundary of the university.

Does Centenary provide transportation to schools for fieldwork?

You are responsible for transportation to and from your placement school.

What are the requirements I need to earn my teaching certification?

For certification, you need to:

  • Complete your major’s required coursework with at least a 3.0 GPA
  • Pass the Praxis II for your area of certification
  • Complete 50 hours of classroom experience prior to clinical fieldwork
  • Complete 150 hours of clinical experience
  • Complete 450 hours of clinical internship
  • Pass edTPA

What is edTPA?

edTPA is your final assessment required to earn your New Jersey teacher certification. There are several components, including a portfolio, video recording of you teaching a lesson in the classroom (during clinical internship), and reflections. During Practicum, you will have the opportunity to film practice videos. You will also be given information and resources about all of the components required for edTPA to help you prepare. During your clinical internship, you will submit your edTPA. For information visit the edTPA website: http://www.edtpa.com/PageView.aspx?f=GEN_NewJersey.html

What is a TOSD endorsement?

A Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TOSD) endorsement certifies you to teach special education students.

How will I earn a TOSD endorsement?

All students earning their NJ teaching certificate through our program also earn their TOSD endorsement. Your required coursework and clinical fieldwork provide you with the qualifications for earning your TOSD endorsement.

What if I want to become a reading specialist, principal, athletic director, or superintendent?

Our graduate programs offer the following degrees:

  • Master of Arts in Instructional Leadership
  • Master of Education in Reading
  • Master of Arts in Special Education with TOSD
  • Doctor of Education in Leadership
Head on over to our graduate department page for more information.

Are there additional certifications I can earn?

Yes! We offer:

  • Supervisor’s Licensure
  • English as a Second Language Certification
  • Learning Disabilities Teacher Consultant Certification (LDT-C) Certification
  • Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TOSD) Endorsement
Head on over to our graduate department page for more information.

Skip to content