Medical Laboratory Scientists (MLS) are the hidden heroes providing accurate and reliable diagnostic testing for improved patient outcomes. The physicians and nurses rely on the laboratorians to process, perform and interpret all laboratory testing.
The Medical Laboratory Science program at Centenary University is designed to train MLS students to perform this valuable function. Our four-year Bachelor of Science degree will prepare you to become an entry-level medical laboratory scientist in hospitals, forensic labs, research facilities and public health laboratories.
Our MLS program at Centenary is designed to build your foundational scientific knowledge in the first 2.5 years and then further develop clinical knowledge with MLS-specific courses to prepare you for your clinical practicum in the final semesters. Upon completion of your bachelor degree, you will be eligible to complete the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification exam and ready to start helping our health care system improve patient care.
|The mission of the Medical Laboratory Science Program at Centenary University is to educate, to develop and to prepare the next generation of laboratory professionals. The curriculum of this program will emphasize foundational and clinical experiences to ensure that these graduates will be able to serve effectively in managerial, educational and research roles within their institution. The overarching theme of this program is to provide a dedicated program for the knowledge and skills for practicing professionals and to promote life-long learning and a culture of service.|
The goal of the Medical Laboratory Science Program at Centenary University is to provide a comprehensive undergraduate program, which prepares technically and scientifically competent graduates to enter the clinical laboratory profession. MLS Program faculty and clinical educators are dedicated to:
- Provide exceptional quality academic and clinical experiences that ensures high quality patient care and respect of patient’s rights
- Provide a learning environment to promote service within the community and the profession and to promote a mindset of continuous education and mentorship
- Provide educational and growth opportunities in the classroom, in the laboratory and in the public domain
Upon the completion of the Medical Laboratory Science Program at Centenary University, the graduates will be able to:
- Describe and perform appropriate specimen collection and processing, testing and evaluation, appropriate reporting of results and corrective actions, if warranted
- Describe and perform appropriate analytical testing on all body fluids or cells
- Correlate laboratory values with health and disease states, discern testing errors and provide effective corrective measures
- Illustrate quality control and quality assurance measures to determine the validity and reliability of current testing methodology and to evaluate new techniques, instruments and methodologies
- Demonstrate professional behavior and proper interpersonal skills with patients, laboratory personnel and other health care professionals
- Practice applicable governmental regulations and laboratory procedures to ensure laboratory compliance
- Demonstrate principles of operational, financial and human resource management
- Appraise research design strategies and published studies
- Discuss the components of educational methodologies and recognize the importance of continual professional development in the role of a laboratory professional
Being able to pay for attending college is no easy task. Located in the Seay Building, the Office of Financial Aid offers assistance to you and your parents to ensure that you have the financial resources to focus on your education.