What is PLA?
Centenary University’s Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Program is designed to help the adult learner combine college courses and life and/or work experience in a non-traditional approach toward earning a college degree. PLA lets you use your work experience for college credit!
How does PLA work?
This program is supervised through the PLA Program Director:
Dr. Jeffrey Carter
Prior Learning Assessment Program Director
(908) 852-1400 ext. 5065
PLA Program requirements:
- Adult learners who are 23 years of age or older
- Matriculated undergraduate students
- Have already earned a minimum of 8 credits of coursework at Centenary
Please Note: Students may not use PLA credits to satisfy their 30 credit residency requirement at the University.
Where to begin …
To become involved in the University’s PLA Program, all interested students must:
- Complete a PLA Pre‐registration Checklist through their academic/program advisor.
- Register for and successfully complete a 1-credit required course, PLA-1000: PLA Portfolio Development, which is offered as needed. The course covers details of the PLA process and the mechanics of portfolio creation.
- After successful course completion, students will create and submit the portfolio(s) for approved course content to the Director of PLA, who will then assign the portfolio(s) to faculty evaluators who will assess the portfolio(s) and determine if college‐level credit has been demonstrated and the amount of credit earned.
- The fee for PLA-1000 is the equivalent of one (1) credit at the prevailing tuition rate at the main campus, payable upon registration for the course.
- The fee for PLA credits is 50% of the prevailing tuition rate per credit for the main campus. Fee payment is due in full upon submission of portfolio(s) for evaluation.
Centenary Enters Partnership with Modern States
The Office of the Secretary of Higher Education (OSHE) and Modern States announced a pilot partnership to provide students across New Jersey with the opportunity to earn free college credit for demonstrating college-level mastery. The partnership with Modern States furthers the goals outlined in the State Plan for Higher Education by offering students college preparation and the ability to earn free college credit. A State Plan Working Group for On-ramps to College further explored best practices and potential models for demonstrating college-level mastery.
Click below to view a short informational video on PLA: