Financial Responsibility Statement
By registering for class(es), I acknowledge that I have read, understand, and agree to the following terms and conditions. I understand that I am agreeing to a legally binding contract to pay all tuition and fees assessed to my student account and all additional costs and expenses related to my enrollment at Centenary University (“Centenary”). These costs and expenses include, but are not limited to, housing, meal plans, flex dollars, health insurance and all other departmental or school costs processed through my student account.
Agreement to Pay and Due Dates: I understand that when I register for classes at Centenary University and receive services, I accept full responsibility to pay all tuition, fees and other associated costs assessed as a result of my registration and/or receipt of services. I further understand and agree that my enrollment and acceptance of these terms constitutes a promissory note agreement (i.e., a financial obligation in the form of an educational loan as defined by the U.S. Bankruptcy Code at 11 U.S.C. §523(a)(8)) in which Centenary University is providing me educational services, deferring some or all of my payment obligation for those services, and I promise to pay for all assessed tuition, fees and other associated costs by the published or assigned due date.)
I promise to pay all tuition, fees, costs, credit, goods, services and expenses by the published due date specified in the most recent Centenary publication setting a due date or by a due date agreed to between myself and Centenary in a separate written agreement specifically applicable to a cost, expense, fee or other sum due. If there is no due date as agreed as set forth above or provided in this agreement, then my obligation shall fall due immediately after I have incurred the obligation.
Effect of Withdrawal/Dropping Classes on My Financial Responsibility: I understand and agree that if I, or a university-designee drop or withdraw from some or all of the classes for which I register, I will be responsible for paying all or a portion of my tuition and fees in accordance with Centenary’s in effect at the time I withdraw from or drop courses. I have read the terms and conditions of Centenary’s published tuition refund schedule and understand those terms are incorporated herein by reference. I acknowledge and understand that my absence from or failure to attend class(es) or my non-receipt of a bill from Centenary does not defer the due dates or relieve me of my financial responsibilities to Centenary.
Billing Errors: Administrative, clerical or technical billing errors do not absolve the student of the financial responsibility to pay the correct amount of tuition, fees and other associated financial obligations assessed as a result of registration at the Centenary.
Federal & Financial Aid:
- All aid is listed as “Anticipated” and is subject to change until it is disbursed to my account.
- Financial Aid awards are contingent upon my continued enrollment and attendance in each class upon which my financial aid eligibility was calculated. I understand that dropping any class before completion may impact my financial aid eligibility. Some or all of my financial aid awarded may be decreased or revoked.
- I understand that any federal or state financial aid (including Title IV and/or Title VII funds) that I receive, except for Federal Work Study wages, will first be applied to any outstanding balance on my account for tuition, fees, room and board. Title IV financial aid includes aid from the Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), and Direct Loans, PLUS Loans. I authorize Centenary University to apply my Title IV and/or Title VII financial aid to other charges assessed to my student account such as student health insurance, parking permits and fines, bookstore charges, service fees and fines, and any other educationally related charges.
Health Insurance: I understand that Centenary automatically registers me for the University health insurance plan. I understand that if I do not want the University health insurance, I must provide proof of insurance to the Wellness Center via the Student Health Portal by the due dates specified in order to opt out of the program. I also understand that if I do not provide the documentation, I will be responsible for the fee.
Method of Communication: I understand and agree to Centenary using e-mail as one of its official methods of communication. I am responsible for promptly reading the emails I receive from Centenary or those acting on its behalf.
Method of Billing: I understand that Centenary uses electronic billing (e-bill) as its official billing method, and therefore I am responsible for viewing and paying my student account e-bill by the scheduled due date. I further understand that a failure to review my e- bill does not constitute a valid reason for not paying my bill on time. E-bill information is available to me on Self Service.
Consent to Methods of Contact: I authorize Centenary, its agents and contractors to contact me at my current and any future cellular phone number(s), email address(es) or wireless device(s) regarding a) student account billing and payments, b) my delinquent student account(s)/loan(s), and/or c) any other debt I owe to Centenary and/or d) to receive general information from Centenary. I authorize Centenary and its agents and contractors to use automated telephone dialing equipment, artificial or pre-recorded voice or text messages, and personal calls and emails, in their efforts to contact you.
Electronic Delivery of IRS Form 1098-T: Students are to provide a Social Security number (SSN) or taxpayer identification number (ITIN) to Centenary upon request as required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations for Form 1098-T reporting purposes. Failure to provide the SSN or ITIN could result in the student being responsible for payment of any and all IRS fines assessed as a result of the missing SSN/ITIN.
I understand that Centenary University will deliver my IRS Form 1098-T electronically every year I have reportable transactions, and that I may view and print IRS Form 1098-T by using Self Service, then choosing the Tax Information tab. I further understand that by consenting to receive this information electronically, a paper copy of my Form 1098-T will not be mailed.
Delinquent Accounts/Collections: I agree that if I fail to pay any sums payable to Centenary by the scheduled due date, Centenary may place a “Hold” on my account and may deny, withhold or refuse services and/or credit including future registration, loans, housing, transcripts, diplomas and other certifications until all sums due and payable to Centenary have been paid. I agree that failure to fully pay Centenary by the scheduled due date for any payment will result in all sums becoming immediately due and payable.
Furthermore, I understand and agree that, if I leave Centenary University with an unpaid balance, that I authorize and consent to the University and its agents, attorneys, and contractors to collect any sums due.
I Agree to Pay the Following Fees: These fees are immediately due and payable and must be paid to restore my student account to good standing and terminate any Hold.
- Late Payment Fees: I understand that late payment fees will be assessed to my account for missed payment deadlines and non-payment of balances. Please see the Payment Due Dates page for information.
- Returned Payment and Stop Payment Charge: If a payment to my student account is returned, dishonored or otherwise rejected by a financial institution for any reason (regardless of the form/method of payment), I agree to immediately pay the obligation I sought to pay by the returned, dishonored or rejected payment, plus any financial institution charges Centenary incurs due to the dishonored or otherwise rejected payment, plus a returned payment fee per occurrence. Please see the Tuition and Billing page for information.
- Collection Charges/Fees: I agree that Centenary may refer my past due account for collection, including, but not limited to, authorizing legal action against me for collection of any amounts not paid when due. If my account is referred to a collection agency, I will be responsible for and agree to pay collection agency fees in addition to the sums referred for collection. I also agree in the event my account is referred to an attorney for collection, I will be responsible for reasonable attorneys’ fees determined by a court together with court costs and disbursements as permitted by law.
I understand that if my account is sent to a collection agency that grades, transcripts, and my diploma will not be released until my balance is paid in full and Centenary has received the funds.
Reporting Past Due Accounts to Credit Reporting Bureaus: I understand that Centenary may report my failure to pay Centenary as agreed to credit reporting bureaus.
Student Age: I understand and agree that if I am younger than the applicable age of majority when executing this agreement that the educational services, goods and credit provided by Centenary are a necessity, and that I am contractually obligated to pay Centenary pursuant to the “doctrine of necessaries.”
Entire Agreement; No Changes. This agreement supersedes all prior understandings, representations, negotiations and correspondence between myself and Centenary. This agreement is governed by the laws of the State of New Jersey. I agree that the laws of the State of New Jersey will be applied in interpreting and enforcing this Agreement no matter where a proceeding is brought to enforce or construe it. This agreement shall be treated as if it were made in the State of New Jersey wherever I may be when I sign it.
Modifications by Subsequent Centenary Publications: The terms of this agreement may be modified by terms set forth in a subsequently published Centenary publication if the publication is communicated to me as authorized in this agreement and I thereafter register for any course(s) at Centenary. Any such modification shall not increase the principal amount then due from me or provide for acceleration of the payment due date of any of my obligations existing on the date I accept the modification. Any modification is specifically limited to those policies and/or terms addressed in the modification.
Acknowledgment of Opportunity to Consult with Advisors: I acknowledge that I have been given a full and fair opportunity to consult with any persons, advisors, and/or legal counsel of my choice, internal or external to the University, concerning the terms and meaning of this Agreement.