Q: What should I bring when I move in?

A: These are the items you definitely should bring:

  • Alarm clock, lamp (non-fluorescent, or medusa lamp), flashlight and small trash can
  • Band-aids, aspirin, allergy medicine
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Extra long twin sheets, pillow, blankets, and comforter
  • Fan
  • Flip flops/shower shoes, a robe, towels, and washcloths
  • Hangers
  • Iron (with automatic shut off) and ironing board
  • Laundry bag/basket, detergent
  • Plastic Bucket or tray for shampoo, soap, toothpaste and other toiletries
  • Sewing kit
  • Power Strips and multi-plug devices are acceptable if they are:
    • Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL) rated and have a built in circuit breaker/surge protector (note: these will usually have a red or green light).
    • Be constructed from heavy-duty materials, consisting of 12, 14, 16 gauge wire
    • Designed for indoor use only
  • Umbrella
  • Jump Drive or portable storage

These are the kinds of things that might make your room feel more comfortable:

  • List of Important phone numbers
  • Aquarium (10 gallon max.)
  • Batteries
  • Computer printer (please check with IT to ensure compatibility )
  • Curtains, drapes
  • Gaming System (with Ethernet cord, for internet connection)
  • Hanging shoe rack
  • Pictures from home
  • Plants
  • Plates and utensils, a mug, and a can opener
  • Posters (Non-alcohol related),
  • Microwave or micro-fridge combo (call 800-525-7307 to rent)
  • Coffee Pot (With automatic shut off).
  • Refrigerator (no more than 3.6 cubic ft.)
  • Removable adhesive, 3M strips
  • Snacks
  • Sunscreen
  • TV, DVD player, CD’s, appropriate sized stereo
  • Wet weather boots

DO NOT BRING THESE THINGS. They are prohibited by Centenary:

  • Air Conditioners
  • Any display which advertises alcohol or drugs (i.e. shot glasses, posters, lighted signs, flags, blow up items)
  • Open burning elements including, (electronic and regular) cigarettes, pipes, Candles (lit or unlit), incense, candle warmers.
  • Charcoal or gas grill
  • Appliances which exceed the rated outlet capacity of 110V, 15 amps, or are considered fire hazards including but not limited to the following:
    • crock pots & hot plates, toaster ovens, electric frying pans, toasters, submersible heating coils.
    • irons and coffeemakers without auto shut off.
  • Beer Kegs and “party balls” or homemade brewing kits.
  • Dartboards (hard tipped, metal tipped, etc)
  • Extension cords (of any kind), multi-plug devices, Power strips WITHOUT built-in circuit or a surge protector.
  • Electric blankets and Electric space heaters
  • Firearms or weapons of any kind including but not limited to:
    • guns, BB guns, air guns, sling shots, paintball guns, water guns, bows and arrows
    • Martial Arts Weaponry, clubs and knives with a blade of 3″ or longer.
    • Personal MASE in excess of 3/4 ounce
  • Explosives or Fireworks of any kind
  • Furniture not issued by the university (i.e. couches, tables, etc)
  • Halogen lamps or lighting that has plastic components (ex: multi-colored medusa lamp).
  • Homemade loft or bunk beds are not permitted. Cinder Blocks and other homemade loft apparatus may not be used to raise beds.
  • Hover boards are not permitted in any University Facility.
  • Illegal drugs, and paraphernalia (ex: shot glasses, empty alcohol containers, pipes, empty containers, etc.)
  • Decorative Lights of any kind including but not limited to (tube, string, LED, strobe, lava, etc).
  • Christmas Trees (artificial or real)
  • Toaster ovens, hot plates, Foreman grills, or any other cooking appliances. Microwaves must be no more than 800 watts, and only 1 per room is permitted.
  • Refrigerators that exceed the following capacity: 3.6 cubic feet, Electric 115 volt, 15 amp. Limit 1 per resident.
  • TV Wall Mounts
  • Pets (except fish)
  • Track lighting
  • Traffic signs or cones
  • Unsanitary items, trash, garbage
  • Volatile liquids including but not limited to, propane gas fuel, paint, paint thinner, and turpentine, lighter fluid.
  • Waterbeds, hot tubs (including homemade), swimming pools.
  • Wireless Routers of any kind.

Q: What are the dimensions of the furniture in my room?

A: Each residence hall bedroom contains a extra-long twin bed, a desk and a dresser that are all standard sizes.

Desk – 48″ (L) x  24″ (W) x 53″ (H)

Dresser – 30″ (L) x  24.5″ (W) x 29″ (H)

Bed (low height) – 84″ (L) x  38.5″ (W) x 29″ (H)

Bed (high height) – 48″ (L) x  24″ (W) x 58″ (H)

Q: How many students are assigned to a room?

A: Generally there are two students assigned to a room. Our halls have shared hall bathrooms on each floor, which are maintained by the maintenance staff. Some rooms are designated as triple rooms because of the larger size and are a popular choice of our upper-class residents. Founders and Bennett-Smith are apartment style with four single bedrooms and two full bathrooms as well as a common area and a kitchen.

Q: My roommate and I are not getting along – What should I do?

A: Living in close quarters with someone else is sometimes tough!  Your RAs are really great about working with roommates who might be having some difficulties.  If you’re having issues with your roommate, let your RA know and they can schedule a mediation – a sit down meeting with both roommates and the RA – and go over expectations.  You can also fill out a roommate contract – a written agreement that explains expectations.

Room changes will not be approved without first having a mediation completed.

Q: It’s ten at night and I can’t get into my room!  What do I do?

A:  Resident Assistants are available from 8pm until 7am for emergencies and anything else you may need.  They serve as your first point of contact, so feel free to present concerns to them.  During Residence Life office hours, you can go to the Residence Life office with any questions or concerns you may have.  For a calendar that tells you who is on duty in your building, refer to the blackboard main page and click on “Main Campus RA Schedule”.

Q: I’m hungry!  What are my options for dining?

A:  All resident students are provided with 19 meals per week in the cafeteria, unless returning students select a different meal plan option. Meal plans for new or first year students will default to the 19 meals a week and is not negotiable. The Cyclone Cafe is another option on campus where students may eat when the cafeteria closes after dinner.

Please note that each meal plan has different restrictions and each resident should know the limitations of their meal plan.

Visit our Dining Services Web page for more information.

Q: Can I have a refrigerator in my room?

A: Yes! In fact, a refrigerator is a great way to store snacks, bottled water, medicines, and vitamins. Refrigerators should be small and easily portable … especially if you are living on the second or third floor for your Residence Hall.

While we don’t recommend any brand or model of refrigerator, we do suggest you consider whether you want to purchase or rent a unit. For many students, renting is more convenient (delivery and pick up are provided) and cost-effective.

MicroFridge is one brand that many Centenary students choose for their residence hall room. These can be rented from Campus Specialties. Delivery and pick up services provided make moving in and out more convenient.

Q: How are the rooms furnished?

A: The rooms are set up with an extra-long twin bed, desk, desk chair, dresser and a closet. We provide the blinds for all windows. Rooms are not carpeted. Area rugs are allowed.  For estimated room sizes, please refer to Residence Hall descriptions.

Q: What about laundry rooms?

A: All residence halls have laundry facilities. There is no cost associated with doing laundry in the Halls. This service is only for Residential Students residing in the designated Residence Hall.

Q: Can I ask to be changed out of my room if things are not working out with my roommate?

A: Residence Life encourages all students to seek assistance from their Resident Assistant or Complex Director regarding conflicts or issues in the room. If mediation does not solve the issues, the Complex Director may look to change a student’s location if availability exists. It should be noted that no room changes are permitted during the first two weeks of the semester.  In addition, Residence Life allows an Open Room Change Period for a short period of time each semester.

Q: Can I bring my car?

A: Everyone can bring their car to Centenary! We offer parking in a designated student lot for those who register their cars.

All information on parking can be obtained on our parking web page.

Q: Who do I contact if my cable is out?

A: If you have any issues in your room from your cable going out to damages or if you have any concerns with issues in common areas such as lounges or communal bathrooms, please contact your RA or the RA on duty. Your RA is here to help you and should be your first point of contact for concerns in the halls.

Q: I got documented but “I didn’t know I couldn’t do that!”

A: Don’t freak out!  If you are documented for a violation, an incident report will be filed and you will receive an email titled “Charge Letter” from a professional staff member to schedule a meeting within one week to discuss the incident.  The letter will outline each of the alleged policy violations and direct you to the Student Handbook for review prior to your hearing. You will have an opportunity to discuss your involvement in the incident with the professional staff.  Each incident is on a case by case basis.  For a full list of violations and Residence Life policies, please refer to the handbook.

Q: I got documented but I didn’t know I got documented!

A: The student handbook is available online and it is your responsibility to know the information in it, including residence hall policies. If you were documented you will receive a formal email from a professional staff. If you are unsure if you were documented follow up with your Complex Director the next business day.

Q: Where do I pay my judicial fines?

A: Fines must be paid in the Business Office by the identified deadline. You will bring a copy of your receipt to the Student Life Office for documentation of your payment. Any sanctions not completed by the end of the year will be converted to a judicial fine, and applied to the student account.


Skip to content