Below is a list of the questions that people ask us the most. For even more FAQs, as well as other detailed financial aid information, check out our FA Guide.

How do I apply for financial aid?

You can apply for financial aid online by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at Be sure to add Centenary’s school code (002599). You must complete a new FAFSA every academic year.

First time applicants will be prompted to create an FSA ID and password to complete the FAFSA.

What is an FSA ID?

The Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID is a username and password that allows you to log in to several U.S. Department of Education websites, including the FAFSA.

FAFSA and FSA ID Tips for Parents

This video contains additional information about the FAFSA and FSA ID for parents.

How do I create an FSA ID?

What do I do if I forgot my FSA ID username or password?

The Federal Student Aid log-in page gives users the option to retrieve their username and/or password through a verified email address, verified telephone number, or by answering the user’s challenge questions.

How do I fill out the FAFSA?

Please watch the following video for directions and tips on completing the FAFSA:

Can I still submit a FAFSA if I have not been admitted to Centenary yet?

Yes, apply as soon as possible after October 1st and list the codes for all of the schools that you are considering on the FAFSA. Centenary’s Federal School Code is: 002599

Please note, you will not receive a Centenary Financial Aid award notice until you have been accepted to Centenary.

What types of financial aid am I eligible for?

The Financial Aid Office will begin reviewing your information once you have been accepted to the University and your FAFSA is received. A Financial Aid award notice will be mailed to you detailing the financial aid awards for which you are eligible.

The award notice also provides additional information regarding some of the next steps you need to complete before you can receive your financial aid.

Does Centenary have an installment payment plan for tuition?

Centenary offers interest-free monthly payment plans with Tuition Management Services (TMS), which allow for smaller, more affordable payments. You can use this option even if you are receiving financial aid. Learn more at

Does financial aid cover non-degree seeking programs?

No, financial aid applies to degree/certificate seeking students.

My family’s financial circumstances have changed since we completed the FAFSA. Are these changes taken into consideration?

If you or your parent(s) financial situation changed after you applied, or at any time during the academic year, you may submit a letter explaining your special circumstances along with supporting documentation, to the Financial Aid Office.

For more information, please review the Change of Circumstance form,which lists the necessary supporting documentation, or contact the office.

What should I do if my federal aid (and grants or scholarships) is not enough to pay my bill?

There are many options available if you are in need of additional assistance. If you do not have personal funds to pay the remaining balance, you may want to apply for a private loan, a PLUS Loan, or enroll in a payment plan. Private loans and Federal Direct PLUS Loans are based on credit worthiness. Students should apply directly with the private lender by phone or online. A list of commonly used lenders can be found here.

Approval of a loan is usually given immediately. Private loans are subject to lender approval and consider your credit history.

Parents of undergraduate students may visit if you are interested in a Federal Parent PLUS Loan.

Graduate students may also apply for a Grad PLUS Loan by logging on to

How can I claim “independent” status?

“Independent” students are individuals who are at least 24 years of age OR married OR with dependent children OR other dependents OR U.S. veteran OR both parents deceased OR a ward of the court. All other students need their parents' financial information to complete their financial aid form.

What is verification? Did I do something wrong?

Verification is a process used to confirm the information you have provided on the FAFSA is accurate. Verification selection can either be random or because your FAFSA data was incomplete, estimated or inconsistent.

The U.S. Department of Education and selects students for the verification process, but not all students are selected.

Once all requested documents are submitted to the Financial Aid Office, the documents are reviewed for accuracy and compared against information reported on the FAFSA. Thirty percent of students that apply for financial aid are randomly chosen for verification.

What is the Letter of Non-Filing? Where do I obtain the letter?

A Letter of Non-filing is a document you obtain from the IRS that verifies you did not and were not required to file a tax return. You may obtain a Letter of Non-filing (4506-T) Request Form from the IRS website or visit the nearest IRS office. It generally takes 7-10 business days to obtain a Non-filing Letter via mail.

How and when should I apply for student loans?

Federal Direct Student Loan eligibility is determined based off information on the FAFSA and you will be notified once you are awarded. First time borrowers must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Loan Entrance Counseling to formally accept their loan(s).

What is the difference between a Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loan?

The federal government is responsible for the interest that accumulates while you are in college at least half time with a subsidized Direct Loan. With an unsubsidized Direct Loan, the student is responsible for the interest that accumulates while enrolled.

How does enrollment affect my loan?

Federal loans require that you maintain a minimum enrollment status of six credits each award period that you wish to receive a portion of your loan. If you drop, cancel or withdraw from a class that makes you less than six credit hours prior to your loan being disbursed, you will not be eligible for that loan.

How do I accept my Federal Direct Loan(s)?

Taking out a Federal Direct Loan as part of your educational investment and managing debt you incur is a substantial responsibility. To ensure that you understand this responsibility and the obligation you are assuming, the Federal Government requires you to complete Loan Entrance Counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN), prior to receiving a Direct Loan.

How do I complete Loan Entrance Counseling?

Entrance Counseling provides detailed information about the federal loan program and borrower responsibilities. Please visit to complete your entrance counseling.

How do I complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN)?

The promissory note includes important information about your rights and responsibilities as a borrower. Please visit to complete your MPN.

How can I decline or reduce my student loan?

To decline or reduce your student loan, please send notification to the Financial Aid Office via email, to, or submit a written statement to our office.

Why is the net disbursed amount of my Federal Direct Loan smaller than the amount I borrowed?

A loan origination fee will be deducted from the proceeds of your loan prior to funds being disbursed to the University.

Therefore, there will be a difference between the amount borrowed and the amount disbursed. You may obtain more information about Federal Direct Loans at

How can I find out how much I borrowed in federal loans?

You can access information about your federal loans and loan servicers on

What is PSLF and am I eligible?

PSLF, or Public Service Loan Forgiveness, is intended to encourage individuals to enter into, and continue working full-time, in public service jobs. Eligible borrowers may qualify for loan forgiveness of the remaining balance of payments on their loans after making 120 qualifying payments.

Any non-defaulted Direct Loan is eligible for loan forgiveness, including Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans, Direct PLUS Loans, and Direct Consolidation Loans.

Why haven’t all of my awards disbursed?

Individual awards have different terms and conditions. Once all terms and conditions are met, the funds may be disbursed.

These various conditions may be requirements for additional documentation for a specific fund, or the fund might require a higher level of verified enrollment. Some funds may be released for part-time attendance and others may require full-time attendance. Pell Grant awards are adjusted based upon enrollment.

There are also specific disbursement dates

What do I have to do to keep receiving financial aid for future semesters?

In addition to submitting your FAFSA each year, you must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP), and the appropriate number of credit hours per semester to continue to receive financial aid.

Attending your classes and earning good grades is required for continued financial aid eligibility.

What happens to my financial aid if I have to drop classes, take a leave of absence, or withdraw from school?

If you stop attending your classes before the end of the semester, the Centenary is required to return your financial aid to the federal government. You will then have a debt with Centenary that you will be responsible for paying. Be sure to review the Centenary’s academic requirements for financial aid recipients here.

Skip to content