Questions to Ask at a College Open House
Starting your college search can be a scary and exciting time. You probably have a million questions flying around your head and many options to consider. That’s why any college or university you are considering definitely deserves a visit; not only to learn more about the school, but also to experience the campus firsthand.
Open Houses are the perfect time to picture yourself as a student on campus and a great opportunity to meet admissions counselors one on one as well as current students, staff, and faculty. Meeting current students allows you to see what the university is all about. They can tell you what it is like to attend here and details you can’t see online. You may even arrive for your classes as a freshman knowing more about the campus than those who have been there longer!
Below are a few questions for you to bring to your next Open House visit.
Questions to ask staff and faculty:
- Why did you choose to work here?
- Are there internship opportunities?
- Who will be my advisor?
- If I am struggling with a class, who can I go to?
- What is the average class size?
- How is campus security?
- What are the strongest majors here?
- Is there a wide variety of campus activities? (e.g. clubs, sports, volunteer opportunities)
- Can I sit in on a class before attending? Are there opportunities to shadow current students in my major of interest?
- Can I set up an individual meeting with a counselor?
- What is the first step to getting financial aid?
- Can I apply right now? Is there an application fee?
Questions for current students:
- Why did you choose this school?
- What is your favorite thing about this school? Your program?
- What was your first semester here like?
- What is there to do on the weekend?
- What is dorm life like? What happens if my roommate and I don’t get alone?
- What is your favorite food served in the cafeteria?
- How do I make my first semester schedule? Is it sent to me or do I get to pick out classes?
- If I am a commuter, can I still be involved on campus? How?
- Is there a program in place to make the transition to college easier?
- Is laundry free?
- Does it cost to have a car on campus? What if I am a commuter?
- What is there to do around campus?
Don’t be afraid to ask your questions and talk to everyone and anyone you can! Each person you speak with will give you a unique look at the university. While you are at these Open Houses, be sure to have fun! This could be your home for the next few years so really try to imagine yourself being there. It’s always good to be prepared so you know that you are going to a college that is the best fit for you.
If you’re interested in learning more about Centenary University and want to visit our campus in-person, attend our Undergraduate Open House on November 11th. Reserve your spot today!