The Writing Collaboratory opened its doors in January 2012. English tutoring takes on a whole new form here.
All selected consultants are highly trained as a result of taking an intensive 16-week course where they become familiar with the theoretical aspects of Writing Center pedagogy and writing instruction. Our well-trained staff is dedicated to fostering confidence and positive attitudes toward writing through comprehensive, inclusive dialogue. Our philosophy is based on the idea that creating better writers is a collaborative effort. We encourage students to come prepared to have insightful discussions with consultants about ways they can improve as writers, not just for a given assignment.
Students can expect a comfortable, collaborative environment that will:
- Help students become more effective writers
- Make students aware of various writing strategies
- Promote critical thinking
- Embrace diverse perspectives
- A lounge are that is open to all students for study and relaxation
- Provide animal crackers, coffee, a refrigerator, and snacks for writers on the go.
All workshops are run by our trained student consultants. We encourage students to take advantage of this resource throughout their entire time on campus because we believe that creating better writers requires an ongoing commitment. There is also a space for in-lab workshops, which will be available for students, faculty and staff throughout the University.
- Workshops are open to all Centenary students
- Facilitated by our trained student consultants
- Varied workshops are run throughout the semester
- Each month will feature a new workshop
- Teachers can also request personalized workshops for their classes
Please email us for further information about scheduling in-lab workshops or arranging for our consultants to provide workshops within your classroom.
Free 30-minute peer-to-peer consultations
- Drop in or schedule an appointment
- Help with any type of writing
- Help with any stage of the writing process
- Writers helping writers
- Bring your work in on a USB, laptop, or printed copy
Conversation groups are hosted by a tutor at the Writing Collaboratory and gives students an opportunity to socialize with their peers in a comfortable environment. The conversation group times are:
- Monday: 3-4pm
- Tuesday: 4-5pm
- Wednesday: 2-3pm
- Thursday: 6-7pm
What is “Inclusive Dialogue?”
Inclusive dialog invites both parties (tutor and tutee) to engage in a conversation about writing that welcomes and embraces multiple concepts and processes all of which lead to shaping a “mindful” writer. This is the core belief behind The Collaboratory and the key to the success of our students.