The Writing Collaboratory opened its doors in January 2012. Writing tutoring takes on a whole new form here.
All selected consultants are highly trained as a result of taking an intensive 16-week course where they become familiar with the theoretical aspects of Writing Center pedagogy and writing instruction. Our well-trained staff is dedicated to fostering confidence and positive attitudes toward writing through comprehensive, inclusive dialogue. Our philosophy is based on the idea that creating better writers is a collaborative effort. We encourage students to come prepared to have insightful discussions with consultants about ways they can improve as writers, not just for a given assignment. Inclusive dialog invites both parties (tutor and tutee) to engage in a conversation about writing that welcomes and embraces multiple concepts and processes all of which lead to shaping a “mindful” writer. This is the core belief behind The Collaboratory and the key to the success of our students.
What to Expect
- When students drop in or schedule an appointment, they can expect a comfortable, collaborative environment.
- Bring your work in on a USB drive or laptop or as a printed copy to review with your peer tutor.
- We help students become more effective writers by:
- Making students aware of various writing strategies
- Promoting critical thinking
- Embracing diverse perspectives
- Helping with any stage of the writing process
- We help students with any type of writing, such as:
- Research papers
- Cover letters, CVs, and resumes
- Websites or other multimedia projects
- Discussion board or blog posts
- And many more!
- We help students with writing in all subjects, including:
- History, English, and other humanities subjects
- Biology and other sciences
- Psychology, social work, and other social sciences
- And many more!
- An open space for any student to study in