We can provide you with all of the training you need for certification as a New Jersey School Counselor — a vital member of any school’s educational leadership team.
Centenary University’s Master of Arts in School Counseling program is approved by the New Jersey Department of Education and accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). You’ll learn how to perform school counseling services, including how to work with students to achieve academic, personal, and career goals. School counselors make a difference every day in the lives of children and teens.
Our 48-credit program explores how to counsel administrators, teachers and parents as well as how to develop relationships with community agencies in assisting children and families. The curriculum includes foundational courses in counseling theory and practice, and then dives deep into subjects critical to working in schools. Topics include human growth and development and working with individuals with disabilities.
Check out the School Counseling audit sheet for course listings.
School Counseling allows you to:
- Develop a thorough understanding of and competence in the practice of counseling in the K-12 environment
- Acquire an appreciation for the ethical and legal responsibilities associated with the school counselor role
- Acquire professional skills and practical experience in the provision of counseling services in a school setting.
School Counseling Profession:
- Well-documented need for child/adolescent mental health support in the years following the COVID-19 pandemic—be a part of the healing process in the years to come
- Employment of school counselors is projected to grow 11 percent from 2020 to 2030, faster than the average for all occupations1
School counselors make a difference every day in the lives of children and teens. Apply now.
1Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, School and Career Counselors and Advisors, at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm (visited April 19, 2022).